This small downland church is a fine example of what early Surrey churches might have looked like. It is estimated that construction started in the late eleventh century and the original Norman building consisted of a nave and chancel. In the twelfth century a south aisle and chapel were added. This has disappeared, possibly due to fire, but the north aisle added at the same time remains.
The east wall, originally apsed, was rebuilt in the late 17th century but the roof timbers lean steeply to the east
The church now has a nave, chancel, north aisle, vestry and porch. There is a small timber turret. It has not been used for services since 1866 and only occasionally for other functions since a refit in 1927.
This church was built in 1866 opposite the old church of St. Lawrence because of the increased population. A typical Victorian edifice with a spire added in 1883 and further extensions in 1916.
St John the Evangelist
This parish church is in Caterham Valley. Building started in 1881 and it was dedicated on St. John's Day, 27th December, 1882.
Until 1856 Caterham was a typical small village on the North Downs. This changed when the railways came through the valley and the station hotel was an ornate building on its own in the countryside. Gradually, the town was built around it. During the 1930s building extended from Coulsdon to include the remnants of the village on the hill.
The Guards depot, on the hill, was started in 1877 and had a great influence on the growth of the village. It was home to some of the well known British regiments over the years until it closed in 1990. It was the largest Army depot of the Victorian age. The listed buildings have been protected and converted into flats. The church has become a skating park.
The area is known as The Village and has a many facilities including a comunity centre, supermarket, gym, pub, and doctors surgery.
The East Surrey Museum is located close to Caterham railway station and it holds many interesting exhibits, including a valuable collection of old postcards of the area which are available to view.
The local history group, the Bourne Society, is very active with a large membership.
‘The Guards and Caterham – The Soldiers’ Story’ by Ronald Melvin (Editor). All profits were used to send Guards in lower ranks on holidays with their families between tours of duty. Now out of print. but click on link for a local website with information on the book and a short history. Secondhand copies are probably available at Amazon, and other retailers eg Oxfam, Abe Books, ebay etc.