Copyright 2019 - East Surrey FHS

 esyparishes

 

List of Old Parishes

Ancient ParishParish ChurchComments
AddingtonSt Mary the Blessed Virgin
Contains records of Baptisms: 1561 – 1990, Marriages: 1561 – 1990, Burials: 1559-1996 
AshteadSt Giles
An Iron Age (700 BC 43 AD) settlement was found at Ottways Lane, Ashtead  
BansteadAll Saints
Mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, the area called ‘Benestede’  
BarnesSt Mary's
At some time between 1100-1150AD, a simple rectangular chapel dedicated to St Mary close to the C12 church. 
BatterseaSt Mary's
Battersea's written history starts in AD 693 
BeddingtonSt Mary's
The present church building was built in the late 14th and 15th centuries, there is evidence that there was a church on this site in 1085 
BermondseySt Mary Magdalen
The first known record of the church of St Mary Magdalen is around 1290 
BetchworthSt Michael
Betchworth has two entries in the Doomsday records (1086) 
BletchingleySt Mary the Virgin
The church tower dates from 1090, The most of the rest of the Church was built by 1460. 
BucklandSt Mary the Virgin
The first mention of a church in Buckland is the Domesday Book of 1086. 
BurstowSt Bartholomews
Parts of the church of St. Bartholomew date from the 12th century.  
CamberwellSt Giles
The ancient parish stretched from Boundary Lane, just north of the present Albany Road, south as far as Sydenham Hill.  
CarshaltonAll Saints
Domesday Book records the presence of a church at Carshalton.  
CaterhamSt. Mary the Virgin
The Norman Church, St Lawrence is situated on the other side of Church Road 
ChaldonSt. Peter & St. Paul
Chaldon Church is of Saxon Foundation and is recorded in the Charter of Frithwald, dated 727 AD. 
CharlwoodSt.Nicholas'
Mesolithic camps have been found dating back to 5000 BC.  St Nicholas’  church dates from 1080 
CheamSt Dunstan's
Parts of Cheam may have belonged to Chertsey Abbey in the Saxon period. 
ChelshamSt. Leonard
St Leonards Church probably dates back to the 12th century and was originally built using flint and firestone. 
ChessingtonSt. Mary the virgin
The church of St Mary’s has stood on its hilltop position, at the corner of Church Lane and Garrison Lane, in Chessington since the twelfth century. 
ChipsteadSt. Margaret's
The first mention of a court of the Manor of Chipstead being held was in 1234 by Roger de Clare. 
ClaphamSt Paul's
The Parish of St Paul's Clapham is located in a diverse and ethnically mixed area of South London. 
CoulsdonSt. John the Evangelist
The church stands on the site of an earlier wooden church and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 
CrowhurstSt George's
The Church site includes records of Baptisms, Marriages & Burials 
CroydonSt John the Baptist
Croydon Minster has a long and distinguished history. It is believed to have been founded in Saxon times, since there is a record of “a priest of Croydon” in 960 
CuddingtonSt. Mary's
The name Cuddington is believed to mean “Cuda’s farm”: Cuda was perhaps an Anglo-Saxon who founded a settlement in today’s Nonsuch Park. 
DeptfordSt Paul
Hatcham became part of Deptford, Kent Parish in 1730, though still in Surrey 
EpsomSt Martin's
Up till 1848 a watch-house, with a sort of wooden steeple, stood in the middle of it, where the present clock tower stands. 
EwellSt Mary's
The date on which a church was first built in Ewell has not yet been established, but historians think it likely that there was one from early, possibly Saxon, times. 
FarleighSt.Mary
St Mary, Farleigh,  Parish Records (1678-1954) held at the Surrey History Centre. 
FetchamSt. Mary's
The nave and the north arcade of the church are probably early 11th century and the base of the tower is late 12th century. 
GattonSt Andrew
This is one of the oldest parishes in Surrey  
GodstoneSt Nicholas
Godstone was known as Walchnestead and entered into the Doomsday Book. 
HeadleySt. Mary's
Headley is a parish with a long history but, as in the case of very many isolated settlements of Saxon and later times, very little is known of its earliest days 
HorleySt Bartholomews
In the Doomsday Book of 1086, the Manor was within the hundred known as Cherchefelle which in 1199 became known as Reigate. 
HorneSt Mary
A catalogue of the St Mary, Horne, Parish Records (1614-1931) held at the Surrey History Centre. 
KewSt Anne's
The first Church on this site was built in 1714 on land given by Queen Anne, and largely at her expense 
Kingston-upon-ThamesAll Saints
In 1921 the Chapel of Holy Trinity was dedicated as the Regimental War Memorial of the East Surrey Regiment. 
LambethSt Mary at Lambeth
From the entry in Domesday Book we know that there was a church dedicated to St. Mary in Lambeth before the Norman Conquest. 
LeatherheadSt Mary's & St Nicholas
The County Court was held here until Henry III (1216-72) removed it to Guildford. 
LeighSt Bartholomew
A hoard of 62 Roman silver denari was discovered in a field at Swains Farm in 2004.  
LimpsfieldSt Peter
The first record of a church in limpsfield is in the Domesday Survey in 1086. 
LingfieldSt Peter & St Paul
Lingfield was first mentioned in the late 9th Century. 
Long DittonSt Mary
It was at the time of the Domesday Survey in Kingston Hundred. 
MaldenSt John the Baptist
Malden appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Meldone, held partly by William de Wateville and partly by Robert de Wateville. 
MersthamSt Katherine
The village lay within the Reigate hundred, an Anglo-Saxon glo-Saxon administrative division. Its name was recorded in 947 as Mearsætham 
MertonSt Mary the Virgin
The River Wandle flowing north towards Wandsworthandsworth, had for centuri watermills driven watermills and provided water for a number of industrial processes. 
MicklehamSt Michael and all Angels
Ninety Victorian workmen, 'considered navvies' died in an accident when a tunnel they were working on collapsed, through Norbury Park, within the parish. 
MitchamSt Peter & St Paul
During her reign Queen Elizabeth (the first) made at least five visits to the area. 
MordenSt Lawrence
Human activity in Morden dates back to the Iron age  period when Celticeltic tribes are known to have occupied the area. 
MortlakeSt Mary's
The history of Mortlake is for the most part the history of the manor and of the great Tapestry Works. 
NewdigateSt Peter
From Saxon times much of the parish of Newdigate had belonged to the manor of East Betchworth 
NewingtonSt Mary's
The parish of St Mary's is located in South London where Elephant & Castle, Kennington and Walworth meet 
NutfieldSt Peter & St Paul
St Peter and St Paul's church is the parish church of Nutfield. It is mentioned in the Domesday book and so is thought to be of Saxon or Norman foundation. 
OxtedSt Mary's
The town lay within the Anglo-Saxon Tandridge hundred. Oxted appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Acstede 
PetershamSt Peter
The earliest record of Petersham is in 666 in the context of an endowment by Frithwald, Viceroy of Surrey, 
PutneySt Mary's
Putney Village has grown from a single residence in the 1700’s, to the desirable location it is today. 
ReigateSt Mary Magdalen
There are neolithic flint mines on the ridge of the North Downs above Reigate. 
RichmondSt Mary Magdalen
The area now known as Richmond was formerly part of Shene. Shene was not listed in Domesday Book, although it is depicted on the associated maps as Sceon 
RotherhitheSt Mary the Virgin
The present parish church, replacing a 12th century building, was completed in 1716. 
SandersteadAll Saints
Presence of man as far back as the Mesolithic Period nearly 12000 years ago, as well as pottery fragments dated between 100 AD - 1300 AD was found in Sanderstead. 
SouthwarkSouthwark Cathedral
Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds urial mounds and ritual activity. 
StreathamSt Leonard's
Streatham appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Estreham 
SuttonSt Nicholas
An ancient parish in the county of Surrey , Sutton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having two churches and two acres of meadow at that time. 
TandridgeSt Peter
Variant spellings such as in feet of finesthe Crown and other overlords whenever rights or lands of manors were in a significant way parted with) include Tenrige; Tanerig, Tanerigge, Tanrich, Tenrig and Tenrugge in the es.. 
TatsfieldSt Mary
N Anglo-Saxon England, Tatsfield lay within Tandrige hundred. In 1086 it was held by Anschitill (Ansketel) de Ros from the Bishop of Bayeux,shop of Bayeux 
Thames DittonSt Nicholas
The first written record of Thames Ditton is in a charter dated 983 when King Æthelred granted to Æthelmær, his minister, nine hides (cassati) at Thames Ditton, Surrey. 
TitseySt James
The Romans left their mark at Titsey and there are two Roman sites, including the ruin of a villa (scheduled monument) in Titsey Park. 
Tooting GraveneySt Nicholas
Tooting in the Norman period, it came into the possession of the De Gravenel family, after whom it was named Tooting Graveney. 
Walton-on-the-HillSt Peter
The Romansomans are known to have settled here in the 1st century AD 
WandsworthAll Saints
As far back as the 13th century, there has been a church on the site of what is today All Saints. 
WarlinghamAll Saints
All Saint's church dates from about 1250 AD when it was built by Gregory, the Vicar at that time 
WimbledonSt Mary's
Wimbledon has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age when the hill fort on Wimbledon Common, the second-largest in London, is thought to have been constructed. 
WoldinghamSt Paul
The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon administrative division of Tandridge hundred. It appears in Domesday Bookomesday Boo k of 1086 as Wallingeham 
WoodmansterneSt Peters
The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon hundred of Wallingtond of Wallington which served for strategic meetings of elders and manor owners in the various kingdoms
Print Friendly, PDF & Email