esyparishes

 

Old Parish Churches

Addinaddingtongton

St Mary the Blessed Virgin

Contains records of Baptisms: 1561 – 1990, Marriages: 1561 – 1990, Burials: 1559-1996

 

 

stGilesAshteadAshtead  

St Giles

An Iron Age (700 BC 43 AD) settlement was found at Ottways Lane, Ashtead

 

 

Banstead allSaintsBanstead  

All Saints

Mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086, the area called ‘Benestede’

 

 

 BarnesBarnes stMary

St Mary's

 At some time between 1100-1150AD, a simple rectangular chapel dedicated to St Mary close to the C12 church

 

 

battersea St Mary'sBattersea

St Mary's

Battersea's written history starts in AD 693

 

 

 

 

beddingtonBeddington

St Mary's

The present church building was built in the late 14th and 15th centuries, there is evidence that there was a church on this site in 1085

 

Bermodsey

Bermondsey

St Mary Magdalen

The first known record of the church of St Mary Magdalen is around 1290

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BetchworthBetchworth

St Michael's's

 Betchworth has two entries in the Doomsday records (1086)

 

bletchinglyBletchingley

St Mary the Virgin

The church tower dates from 1090, The most of the rest of the Church was built by 1460.

 

 

buckland

Buckland

St Mary the Virgin

The first mention of a church in Buckland is the Domesday Book of 1086.

 

burstow

Burstow

St Bartholomews

Parts of the church of St. Bartholomew date from the 12th century.

 

 

 

 camberwellstgilesCamberwell

St Giles

The ancient parish stretched from Boundary Lane, just north of the present Albany Road, south as far as Sydenham Hill.

 

 

 

 carshaltonallsaintsCarshalton

 All Saints

Domesday Book records the presence of a church at Carshalton.

 

Caterhamstmary's

Caterham

St. Mary the Virgin

The Norman Church, St Lawrence is situated on the other side of Church Road

 

 

chaldronChaldon

St. Peter & St. Paul

Chaldon Church is of Saxon Foundation and is recorded in the Charter of Frithwald, dated 727 AD

 

 

 Charlwoodcharlwood

 St.Nicholas'

Mesolithic camps have been found dating back to 5000 BC.  St Nicholas’  church dates from 1080

 

 

cheam
Cheam

 

St Dunstan's

Parts of Cheam may have belonged to Chertsey Abbey in the Saxon period.

 

 

 

chelshamChelsham

St. Leonard

St Leonards Church probably dates back to the 12th century and was originally built using flint and firestone.

 

 

chessingtonChessington

St. Mary the virgin

The church of St Mary’s has stood on its hilltop position, at the corner of Church Lane and Garrison Lane, in Chessington since the twelfth century.

 

 

 Chipsteadchipstead

St. Margaret's

The first mention of a court of the Manor of Chipstead being held was in 1234 by Roger de Clare.

 

 

claphamClapham

St Paul's

The Parish of St Paul's Clapham is located in a diverse and ethnically mixed area of South London.

 

 

coulsdonCoulsdon

St. John the Evangelist

The church stands on the site of an earlier wooden church and is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086

 

crowhurstCrowhurst

St George's

The Church site includes records of Baptisms, Marriages & Burials

 

croydon

Croydon

St John the Baptist

Croydon Minster has a long and distinguished history. It is believed to have been founded in Saxon times, since there is a record of “a priest of Croydon” in 960

 

 

cuddington2

 

Cuddington

St. Mary's

The name Cuddington is believed to mean “Cuda’s farm”: Cuda was perhaps an Anglo-Saxon who founded a settlement in today’s Nonsuch Park.

 

 

deptford
 Deptford

St Paul

 

Hatcham became part of Deptford, Kent Parish in 1730, though still in Surrey

 

 

epsomEpsom

 

St Martin's

 

Up till 1848 a watch-house, with a sort of wooden steeple, stood in the middle of it, where the present clock tower stands.

 

 

ewellEwell


 

St Mary's

 

The date on which a church was first built in Ewell has not yet been established, but historians think it likely that there was one from early, possibly Saxon, times.

 

 

 

farleighFarleigh

St.Mary

 

St Mary, Farleigh,  Parish Records (1678-1954) held at the Surrey History Centre.

 

fetchamFetcham

St. Mary's

 

The nave and the north arcade of the church are probably early 11th century and the base of the tower is late 12th century.

 

gattonGatton

 

St Andrew

 

This is one of the oldest parishes in Surrey

 

 

godstoneGodstone

 

St Nicholas

Godstone was known as Walchnestead and entered into the Doomsday Book.

 

 

headleyHeadley

St. Mary's

Headley is a parish with a long history but, as in the case of very many isolated settlements of Saxon and later times, very little is known of its earliest days

 

 

horley

Horley

 

St Bartholomews

 

In the Doomsday Book of 1086, the Manor was within the hundred known as Cherchefelle which in 1199 became known as Reigate.

 

 

horne

Horne

 

St Mary

 

A catalogue of the St Mary, Horne, Parish Records (1614-1931) held at the Surrey History Centre.

 

 

kewKew

St Anne's

 

The first Church on this site was built in 1714 on land given by Queen Anne, and largely at her expense

 

kingston

Kingston-upon-Thames

All Saints

In 1921 the Chapel of Holy Trinity was dedicated as the Regimental War Memorial of the East Surrey Regiment.

 

lambethLambeth

St Mary at Lambeth

From the entry in Domesday Book we know that there was a church dedicated to St. Mary in Lambeth before the Norman Conquest.

 

 

Leatherhead, St Mary & St NicholasLeatherhead

St Mary's & St Nicholas

The County Court was held here until Henry III (1216-72) removed it to Guildford.

 

 

leighLeigh

St Bartholomew

A hoard of 62 Roman silver denari was discovered in a field at Swains Farm in 2004.

 

 

limpsfieldLimpsfield

St Peter

The first record of a church in limpsfield is in the Domesday Survey in 1086.

 


 

lingfield

Lingfield

St Peter & St Paul

Lingfield was first mentioned in the late 9th Century.

 

longditton

Long Ditton

St Mary

It was at the time of the Domesday Survey in Kingston Hundred.

 

malden


 Malden

St John the Baptist

 Malden appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Meldone, held partly by William de Wateville and partly by Robert de Wateville.

 

binary commentMerstham

 

St Katherine

The village lay within the Reigate hundred, an Anglo-Saxon administrative division. Its name was recorded in 947 as Mearsætham

 

mertonMerton

St Mary the Virgin

The River Wandle flowing north towards Wandsworthandsworth, had for centuri watermills driven watermills and provided water for a number of industrial processes.

 

 charset=Ascii
 Mickleham

St Michael and all Angels

Ninety Victorian workmen, 'considered navvies' died in an accident when a tunnel they were working on collapsed, through Norbury Park, within the parish.

 

 Mitchammitcham

St Peter & St Paul

During her reign Queen Elizabeth (the first) made at least five visits to the area.

 

morden

 

Morden

St Lawrence

Human activity in Morden dates back to the Iron age  period when Celticeltic tribes are known to have occupied the area.

 

morden

Mortlake

St Mary's

The history of Mortlake is for the most part the history of the manor and of the great Tapestry Works.

 

 

newdigate
 Newdigate

St Peter

From Saxon times much of the parish of Newdigate had belonged to the manor of East Betchworth

 

Newington

 

Newington

St Mary's

The parish of St Mary's is located in South London where Elephant & Castle, Kennington and Walworth meet

 

 

nutfield

 

Nutfield

St Peter & St Paul

St Peter and St Paul's church is the parish church of Nutfield. It is mentioned in the Domesday book and so is thought to be of Saxon or Norman foundation.

oxted

 

Oxted

St Mary's

The town lay within the Anglo-Saxon Tandridge hundred. Oxted appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Acstede

 

petersham

 

Petersham

St Peter

The earliest record of Petersham is in 666 in the context of an endowment by Frithwald, Viceroy of Surrey,

 

putney

Putney

St Mary's

Putney Village has grown from a single residence in the 1700’s, to the desirable location it is today.

 

 

Reigate

St Mary Magdalen

There are neolithic flint mines on the ridge of the North Downs above Reigate.

 

Richmond

St Mary Magdalen

The area now known as Richmond was formerly part of Shene. Shene was not listed in Domesday Book, although it is depicted on the associated maps as Sceon

 

Rotherhithe

St Mary the Virgin

The present parish church, replacing a 12th century building, was completed in 1716.

 

Sanderstead

All Saints

Presence of man as far back as the Mesolithic Period nearly 12000 years ago, as well as pottery fragments dated between 100 AD - 1300 AD was found in Sanderstead.

 

Southwark

Southwark Cathedral

Recent excavation has revealed prehistoric activity including evidence of early ploughing, burial mounds urial mounds and ritual activity.

 

Streatham

St Leonard's

Streatham appears in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Estreham

 

Sutton

St Nicholas

An ancient parish in the county of Surrey , Sutton is recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086 as having two churches and two acres of meadow at that time.

 

Tandridge

St Peter

Variant spellings such as in feet of finesthe Crown and other overlords whenever rights or lands of manors were in a significant way parted with) include Tenrige; Tanerig, Tanerigge, Tanrich, Tenrig and Tenrugge in the es..

 

Tatsfield

St Mary

N Anglo-Saxon England, Tatsfield lay within Tandrige hundred. In 1086 it was held by Anschitill (Ansketel) de Ros from the Bishop of Bayeux,shop of Bayeux

 

Thames Ditton

St Nicholas

The first written record of Thames Ditton is in a charter dated 983 when King Æthelred granted to Æthelmær, his minister, nine hides (cassati) at Thames Ditton, Surrey.

 

Titsey

St James

The Romans left their mark at Titsey and there are two Roman sites, including the ruin of a villa (scheduled monument) in Titsey Park.

 

Tooting Graveney

St Nicholas

Tooting in the Norman period, it came into the possession of the De Gravenel family, after whom it was named Tooting Graveney.

 
Walton-on-the-Hill St Peter The Romansomans are known to have settled here in the 1st century AD  
Wandsworth All Saints As far back as the 13th century, there has been a church on the site of what is today All Saints.  
Warlingham All Saints All Saint's church dates from about 1250 AD when it was built by Gregory, the Vicar at that time  
Wimbledon St Mary's Wimbledon has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age when the hill fort on Wimbledon Common, the second-largest in London, is thought to have been constructed.  
Woldingham St Paul The village lay within the Anglo-Saxon administrative division of Tandridge hundred. It appears in Domesday Bookomesday Boo k of 1086 as Wallingeham  

FHF

parish

genfair logo